Q: What are the most effective ways of increasing SaaS activation rates?
There are a lot of great tactics on increasing activation rates. More bespoke onboarding. Calling customers. Assigning a CSM immediately. Weekly webinars. Better documentation. Better customer support. In-app workflows and guidance. A personalized drip campaign. Lots of great ideas.
But in the end, I’ve found one thing is the most important:
- Actually measuring activation rates (both absolute, and in how many hours/days/etc.).
- Sharing the rate with the whole company.
- And then — setting a goal to drive them up.
- And it really needs to be a Top 2–3 goal for Customer Success.
When I’ve seen a good CS team, together with help from Product, Sales, and especially the CEO, set a goal and make it a core CS goal, I see magic happen.
Folks are often shocked to hear activation isn’t in the 95%-100% range. They assume it is.
And when it’s finally measured and shared with the whole company, and they see it’s 70% or 75% … they are shocked.
They see than 25%+ of their hard work may go down the drain if those great, new, hard-won customers … never activate.
- Measure it.
- Share it.
- Set a Core, Quantitative Goal Here for NPS.
And watch activation go up.